Saturday, July 19, 2008

Salam Wallaycum

Day 57 July 17 – Salam Wallaycum

This morning Tim got up early to see another harvest; I was lazy and decided not to go. I have seen plenty of fish harvests, I understand how it works. It really isn’t a complicated procedure, just time and effort consuming. I am happy to see how different farms do harvests but here it is simple; lower water, net fish, scoop in buckets up to side, sort by species and size.

Today is Thursday, the final day of the workweek so I need to say all of my thank yous and goodbyes. It was arranged yesterday that a car would come at noon to drive me to CLAR about ¾ mile way. I was perfectly happy to walk but they insist because they say it is hot and dangerous… Well at two o’clock I was tired of waiting around so I just walked over. There I said goodbye to Dr. Said, the director of CLAR, and the other top scientists. They conveniently all happened to be in the same room which saved me lots of effort.

I also wanted to thank the actual scientists who I spent about a week with actually learning the methods. I found them in their lab and spent a good hour saying goodbye and thank you to a bunch of people. One of the scientists was nice enough to give me a motorcycle ride back to my room.

I spent the rest of the day beginning to get all of my stuff together, after two months it seems to be everywhere. I did my laundry and did some of the dishes, we don’t have a dishwasher. As I took my laundry out of the washer I noticed all my whites had a distinct green tint, oops.

Because Tim had attended the harvest this morning he was given four Tilapia. We both agree that they look gross when they are just thrown on the fire so we cook them more. When we get them they look like black and brown blobs, so I peel the skin and fry the meat. Then throw that on some rice and it tastes pretty good.



No comments: